“Goals are the furnace of Achievement” Brain Tracy
“You only need two things to be successful in America. Decide exactly what it is you want. Most people never do that. Second, determine the price you are going to have to pay to get it, and then resolve to pay that price.” H. L. Hunt, oil billionaire
We will never get anywhere with our small business if we do not set goals. In our businesses, we set aside a couple of days per quarter to escape and have a mini retreat. Last month that retreat was in a suite in Las Vegas. Not at a high end hotel, but comfortable at least. During this time we lay out our goals and revisit goals made earlier.
Here is a 12 step process for writing goals. Remember they must all be in harmony with one another and coincide with your personal and professional mission. They must also be challenging. Some will be tangible and measurable while others may be intangible, like feelings. You will set short term and long term goals.
1. Develop a deep desire so you are motivated to overcome the initial fear.
2. Believe it is possible for you to attain your goal.
“Whatever a mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve”
3. Write it down
4. How will you benefit from achieving your goals? Make a list
5. Create a starting point. Where are you today?
6. Set a deadline for you tangible goals.
7. What obstacles might get between you and your goals? List them out and prioritize.
8. What will you need to learn?
9. Who can help you?
10. Write out a detailed plan. What you want, when you want it, why you want it, and where you are starting from.
11. Visualize your success.
12. Never, never give up!